I would like to preface this entry with that I felt very inspired to write on this subject. Since I am a lover of “Old” things and diy home decor, I love to make them current and useful. I have so many antiques in my apartment. (This creates my eclectic style that I love!)
What you don’t know is that I have A LOT of old things stored away and protected. But I have decided that I would like to re-purpose them.
1. Old Hardback Books – Take them apart! You heard me! Take them apart and use the front and back cover to bind a new fun journal for yourself. I would even use a couple of the original pages with in the notebook to add some fun vintage flair. Wanna be even more eco-friendly? Use recycled printer paper! You can transform this item into something current, fun, and functional.
Some other examples:
2. Vintage Postcards, Photos, and Stamps – Turn it into hang-able wall art! All you need is a little time and a hot glue gun! I think I am actually going to paint a thin layer of something fun over this collage. So stay tuned for the next step!! However – you can certainly stay at this step and hang as is.
My Nana had given me 60 different postcards postmarked 1899-1915
Canvas I decided to paint black to keep a unified look and the stamps I had received.
STAMPS – IMAGINE A MOUNTAIN OF THESE! I HAVE THEM.
FROM DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, TIME-PERIODS, SEASONS ETC
It’s kind of crazy…
ON LARGE CANVAS
LARGE CANVAS DETAIL
SMALLER CANVAS – I WANTED TO PLAY 🙂
Another Example and My Inspiration:
3. Old Silverware– Into Kitchen Towel/Potholder hooks! Heat em up and bend them to your will! A little metal working may be required to drill an hole in the silverware to be able to secure them to the wall or maybe think about alternative ways to secure. Command Strips? Butyl tape? You should play.
4. Picture Frame – This can magically transform into a Magnet Board, Jewelry Holder, Make up holder, Chalkboard, or Tray. Its actually amazing how much you can re-purpose this item for different rooms or occasions. Can I have one of each please?
5. Wine Glasses – Tea Candle holders. A little sand, a little light and the “Vois la!” you have some new accent decor for your living room, bedroom, bathroom or entryway!
I hope this article helped bring some pizazz to your home decor!
If you have any new uses for old things that you came up with, please share! I would love to hear it!